In 2018, we devoted several posts to the latest writing style guide from Microsoft:
- Microsoft Manual of Style vs. Microsoft Writing Style Guide
- MMoS vs MSG: The old, the new, and the unexpected
Yet, Microsoft guidelines is the topic one can talk about endlesly, isn’t it? 🙂 This time, I decided to focus on a few aspects of procedure writing and formatting that grabbed my attention most.
Grab your favorite drink, turn up the sound, and don’t miss the quiz at the end of the video!
Here’s a sneak peek at the video highlights:
- Use device-neutral verbs.
Users may interact with your product using various devices and input methods.
- Minimize UI terminology (menu, tab, box, and similar.).
Fewer words make actions more clear. Compare these: “From the File menu, select the New option” and “Go to File > New”.
- Mind the look and feel of your text.
Proper combination of font size, line spacing, and capitalization makes your text more scannable and easy to follow. Microsoft provides specific formatting advice to get you started.
Do you use these guidelines in your docs and did they make a difference for you? Let us know in the comments!